Associate Director/Director, Business Development
LOCATION: South San Francisco or Los Angeles
DEPARTMENT: General & Administrative
REPORTS TO: President and Chief Operating Officer
Guided by our key cultural value of Courageous CaringTM and driven by a sense of urgency, we are building an innovative biopharma company that invests in, develops and commercializes life-changing drug therapies.
The Associate Director/Director, Business Development will assist in identifying, evaluating, and recommending targeted immunology assets to license or acquire. The successful candidate will have either a strong financial analysis background and/or background in biology, chemistry or drug development and a desire to learn the business principles and market dynamics that drive biopharma. The position provides a unique opportunity for individuals to leverage their experience and training while gaining mentorship in a key aspect of business development.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Assist in identifying and evaluating potential licensing and acquisition opportunities for drug development programs. Synthesize complex set of facts, in order to facilitate decisions by leadership team.
- Opportunity screening, conducting diligence and critically assesses opportunities for licensing and partnering purposes in support of ACELYRIN’s pipeline.
- Identify growth opportunities aligned with ACELYRIN’s strategy.
- Develop detailed financial, market and operational models to determine the NPV/IRR of potential transactions.
- Lead creation of materials for use internally and externally with management, the board of directors and potential partners (e.g., “pitch” presentations, term sheets, data rooms, etc.).
- Create and maintain dashboard of BD activities for senior leadership.
- Provide strong project management skills to ensure that key risks and opportunities are identified, captured, and presented in an unbiased way to senior management for decision making.
- Perform other tasks as necessary to support the Business Development team and the growth of ACELYRIN
- PhD or MBA preferred but not required.
- Preference will be given to individuals with significant industry experience in the biopharma industry, life sciences venture capital, management consulting, buy- or sell-side equity research or investment banking.
- 3-5 years of related experience.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills, including ability to storyline and prepare executive-level discussion documents. Demonstrated ability to communicate with, and successfully influence senior level management, executives, key clients, and stakeholders at all levels.
- Self-motivated and able to multi-task. Comfortable working across a number of disease areas and able to shift gears quickly. Must be open to change and the unknown with a creative and resourceful nature.
- Quantitative and qualitative analytical skills, including ability to create complex financial models and forecasts related to deal evaluation.
- Strong project management skills.
- Strong leadership skills with a demonstrated ability to influence different styles.
- Ability to positively collaborate in a cross-functional matrix working environment.
- Drug development knowledge with basic to strong understanding of activities within research, preclinical and clinical development and regulatory.
- Prior experience in diligence/program evaluation for licensing or acquisition is a plus.
- Keen business and scientific acumen, intellectual curiosity, and good judgement.
- Results-oriented with high performance standards Computer Skills.
- Microsoft Words, Excel, Project, financial models Supervisory Responsibilities.
- Word, Excel, Project, and financial model.
- No direct reports
The preceding job description has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees within this classification. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities and qualifications required of employees assigned to the job.